Newton wants board to increase proactivity

After an unsuccessful candidacy in 2003, Paul Newton - who says he still is passionate about the issues - plans to challenge two incumbents for a spot on the Hillsborough Town Board.

"Of course I am the underdog," he said. "However, that doesn't deter me. I'm not afraid of working hard - in campaigning or after getting elected.

"Ultimately, it depends on how the citizens feel about the current board."

Newton envisions a board that doesn't simply react to problems with growth and development, but instead detects and defers potential problems before they become major issues.

"My candidacy is an opportunity to elect a leader who will be pro-active and find beneficial solutions," he said.

"Very little has changed since the last time I ran."

Newton criticized the board for approving an ordinance that allowed the construction of an asphalt plant when residents opposed the project. The controversy ultimately was settled in court.

"It took great effort to stop the building after that. The whole issue would have been avoided if the town board had rewritten the ordinance a year earlier when the planning board advised its revision," he said.

"When issues on development are being discussed in courtrooms instead of boardrooms, it becomes a concern for the citizens."

Newton said his experience with the town will help him to anticipate and find ways to avert such potential difficulties.

His resume includes, among other positions, current appointments as vice chairman of the board of adjustment, two-term member of the planning board.

He also has served on the town's historic clock restoration committee.

"Serving on the planning board has exposed me to many challenges