Police Log

A UNC sophomore was arrested Saturday morning on five charges, including driving while impaired and damage to property, Chapel Hill police reports state.

Zachary Scott Giles, 20, was arrested at 425 Hillsborough St. after he left the scene of a car accident, reports state.

According to reports, police found Giles a block from the accident scene as he was exiting a vehicle, and a witness was able to identify Giles as being involved in the accident.

Giles registered a blood alcohol level of .19 on his first Intoxilyzer 5000 test, and he would not cooperate for a second test, reports state.

According to reports, Giles also was arrested on misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia, violation of a provisional license and hit and run. He is set to appear in District Criminal Court on Nov. 29.

A Chapel Hill High School student was cited for underage possession of a malt beverage Saturday night, according to Chapel Hill police reports.

Kevin Christopher McCreery, 17, of 402 Brookgreen Drive, was arrested at 9:19 p.m. at Mary Scroggs Elementary School, at 501 Kildaire Road, reports state.

He also was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of alcohol possession on school property, according to police reports. McCreery was released on written promise and is scheduled to appear in District Criminal Court in Chapel Hill on Nov. 29, reports state.

Several incidents of gas drive-offs were reported this weekend to Chapel Hill police.

A customer drove off without paying for $44 worth of gas from the Chapel Hill North Exxon, 1860 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., at 10:58 a.m. Sunday, according to reports.

At 6:37 p.m. Sunday, $30 worth of gas was reported stolen from the BP station at 1201 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. after a customer left without paying, reports state.

Off Franklin Bar & Grill, at 108 Henderson St., was the victim of vandalism and damage to property, Chapel Hill police reports state.

At 2:25 p.m. Saturday the restaurant reported $1,500 worth of damage to its windows, according to police reports.

The UNC Center for Developmental Science, at 100 E. Franklin St., was the victim of a breaking and entering Sunday afternoon, police reports state.

According to reports, a glass door was smashed by a potted plant. The damage was assessed at $500, reports state.