Power Plants debate causes headaches

Online exclusive

The Chapel Hill Town Council held a public hearing Monday on a University proposal to dramatically increase the capacity of the power plant on West Cameron Avenue. The only problem: No one quite seemed to know what was going on.

Council members wanted town staff to do more research on the matter, and University officials were baffled by requests from a neighborhood association.

The power-producing complex at the heart of the matter was a cogeneration facility located next to a Duke Power substation.

The cogeneration facility uses boilers to make steam - used for heating and cooling purposes across campus - and the steam to turn turbines, producing a portion of the electricity used on campus.

University officials had requested a special-use permit to change the structure by adding additional cooling towers and an extra turbine, among other things.

"These projects are designed so that we will have maximum efficiency," said Peter Krawchyk, the University's assistant director for project management.

Raymond DuBose, director of energy services, said the additional turbine will allow the University to make better use of the steam already being generated.

Council members wanted to know whether the plant, under the new plan, would burn more fuel than it does now.

DuBose answered yes, but after the meeting he said that he was referring to a related project on Manning Drive - which was recently expanded - and that the facility under discussion Monday would not in fact burn more fuel after the modifications.

Carbon emissions were also a topic for resident and Town Council candidate Robin Cutson.

Cutson reiterated her opposition to the town's Sept. 12 decision to join the Carbon Reduction Program in conjunction with a UNC professor of environmental sciences and engineering, Douglas Crawford-Brown.

She called for the power plant to be included in the program and for detailed reports on pollution from the power plants, among other things.

The power plant's impact on its neighbors also brought out a couple of speakers.

Resident Joyce Brown, speaking on behalf of the Westside Neighborhood Association, listed a number of requests: that the plant meet all current noise ordinances - a requirement University officials said is already met - and that lists detailing the plant's productions of air pollutants and greenhouse gases be published in all local publications.

University officials expressed puzzlement at these requirements, noting that the plant already has all necessary permits.

Regardless of who figures what out before the issue comes back before the council Nov. 9, Brown is sure of one thing:

"(The proposal) is a 12-turbine, eight-story, coal-fired boiler building in a residential neighborhood."