Public health students surpass donations goal

The School of Public Health's Student Union Board donated in a ceremony Tuesday $12,670 to aid Hurricane Katrina efforts.

About 75 students and faculty gathered in the Michael Hooker Research Center listened intently and applauded as representatives of the American Red Cross accepted the money.

The ceremony also acted as an official welcome to students from New Orleans who recently were taken in by the University.

Four international fellows who were studying at Tulane University are now at the School of Public Health.

Students in the public health school overshot their initial $10,000 goal in making the donation.

Graduate student Samir Thaker, who organized the fundraiser along with senior Greg Summerville, said he was pleased to see the outpouring of generosity from the campus.

"We set a high goal, but we were confident that the school would come through," Thaker said.

Wilma Palmer, director of blood services for the Orange County chapter of the Red Cross, said she was not surprised by the sizable donation given by the University.

"UNC has a history of coming through in terms of the Red Cross and the community," she said.

Representatives of the Student Union Board said they chose to donate to the American Red Cross because the organization has a historic role in disaster relief.

The $12,670 raised will go toward helping Hurricane Katrina victims rebuild.

The Red Cross has been focusing its funds on providing food, shelter, emergency financial assistance and counseling for hurricane victims.

The Red Cross also is helping families who are searching for a new home. More than 117 people have relocated to Orange County, Palmer said.

More than $876,000 already has been given in aid, but there is still a great need, Palmer said.

According to the Red Cross Web site, approximately $2 billion will be needed to help Katrina victims fully recover. Any donation of time, money, or supplies would greatly aid this relief effort.

For more information go to www.redcross.org.