Schoolkids still fills independent niche

Variety, concerts draw customers

About a year after adding new floor space directly next door to its original Franklin Street address, Schoolkids Records is thriving.

Store owner Michael Phillips said the addition has drawn more customers.

"It has definitely increased business," he said.

The newer store, known as The Annex, contains all the DVDs and used merchandise, such as CDs and LPs, that are for sale in the older store, only with more selection.

"Used CDs are a much better bargain for your money," Phillips said. "It's hard for most college kids to buy new CDs."

The Annex also has a stage for band performances or autograph sessions.

So far, artists that have performed include Spencer Acuff, Sarah Borges, The Nein and Jonathan Richman.

"We're trying to get more bands to stop by and perform or just sign autographs," said Phillips.

Mazarin is also scheduled to perform later this month.

But the biggest attraction remains the main store and its wide selection of music.

"We have a wide variety of things. We have imports - stuff that you won't find in mall music stores," said Maria Albani, an employee at the store.

"People that don't listen to mainstream music know that we're here and know they can find what they're looking for."

Also important for Schoolkids is its commitment to promoting local music.

"We sell tickets to a lot of obscure bands at local places like (Local) 506 and Cat's Cradle," said Albani.

"Because we're independent, we know more about small, unsigned, touring bands."

In addition to underground fare, the store also offers a variety of chart-topping albums and movies.

"We do make sure we have some of the mainstream," Albani said. "We're not against it. We're not exclusive to obscure."

Despite the physical barrier between the old store and The Annex, customer traffic remains steady in both throughout the day.

"More of them (customers) come to the main store still but most people shop at both stores," said Phillips.

While the store has gotten bigger, the mission remains the same: to help promote local music.

"We're apart of what helps the public get exposed to that type of music," said Albani.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.