Science Center narrows finalists

Forums will aid director search

Last year, UNC's Morehead Planetarium and Science Center had 134,000 visitors from across the state.

But soon those who come to gaze at the stars will be greeted by a new face.

A search committee has reached the final steps in finding a new director for the center. The previous director, Holden Thorp, stepped down at the end of June.

Starting this week, the search committee will host public forums to allow the community a say in the decision process.

The four candidates to be interviewed are: Ilan Chabay from the New Curiosity Shop in California, David Cheseborough of the Buffalo Museum of Science, Ryan Wyatt from the American Museum of Natural History in New York and Jeffery Bass of the Milwaukee Public Museum.

"These are candidates that have been combed from a group," said Chuck Lovelace, executive director of the Morehead Foundation and a member of the search committee. "This is a serious, hopefully culminating stage in the process."

The search committee will request feedback from those who attend the forum.

"Individuals will have an opportunity to provide anonymous written feedback," said Denise Young, director of education programs at the planetarium.

Young said the committee hopes to incorporate these ideas into its final decision.

The director oversees all the daily workings of the center, including a staff of 14 full-time employees and 60 student staffers. The director also acts as a leader for fundraising and capital campaigning for the center.

"We're looking for someone to let the people of North Carolina know about scientific programs at Morehead Planetarium and Science Center," Young said.

The search committee has not set a deadline for filling the position. Members said the main concern is to find the best candidate, rather than to fill the position immediately.

"We don't want to set a timeline and not have found the right person," Young said.

"We will interview four folks and see where we stand," said Peter White, chairman of the search committee and professor of biology.

The planetarium often is thought of as the door into the University, committee members say, and they are considering that role in their decision.

"For so many people in the state, the first opportunity they have to visit the University is through the planetarium," Lovelace said. "It's a great opportunity to introduce young students to science and the University."