DeLay indicted, GOP taps Miss. senator for position

WASHINGTON, D.C. - House Majority Leader Tom DeLay was indicted Wednesday by a Texas grand jury on a charge of conspiring to violate political fundraising laws, making him the highest-ranking member of Congress ever to face criminal indictment and forcing him to temporarily step aside from his GOP post.

DeLay said he had done nothing wrong and denounced the Democratic prosecutor who pursued the case as a "partisan fanatic." He said, "This is one of the weakest, most baseless indictments in American history. It's a sham."

Republicans quickly moved to fill the void, while voicing polite support for DeLay. Speaker Dennis Hastert named Missouri Rep. Roy Blunt to take over most of DeLay's leadership duties.

Nonetheless, DeLay's temporary departure and the prospect of a criminal trial for one of the Republicans' most visible leaders reverberated throughout the GOP-run Congress, which was already struggling with ethics questions surrounding its Senate leader.

DeLay, 58, was indicted on a single felony count of conspiring with two political associates.

The indictment stems from a plan DeLay helped set in motion in 2001 to help Republicans win control of the Texas House in the 2002 elections for the first time since Reconstruction.

The grand jury accused the men of conspiring to route corporate donations from DeLay's Texas committee to the Republican Party in Washington, then returning the money back to Texas legislative candidates. It was a scheme intended to evade a state law outlawing corporate donations going to candidates, the indictment said.

Roberts on verge of being named next chief justice

WASHINGTON, D.C. - A divided Democratic caucus Wednesday assured Supreme Court nominee John Roberts of a comfortable, bipartisan Senate confirmation as the nation's 17th chief justice, the youngest in 200 years.

Many say they would have chosen someone else for the position, yet 21 senate Democrats agreed he has "a brilliant legal mind" and will be among the 76 senators - more than three-fourths of the 100-member Senate - who say they plan to vote to confirm the 50-year-old Roberts as the successor to the late William Rehnquist.

Democrats are uniting, however, in sending the White House a warning not to nominate a conservative ideologue to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. President Bush is expected to nominate O'Connor's replacement soon after Roberts is sworn in as chief justice.