Stone Center marches to its own beat

The Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History celebrated the end of its inaugural year this month - but the birthday was years in the making.

Controversy and struggle marked the decade leading up to the center's construction, but leaders say this past year has been mostly smooth sailing.

"(The center has) contributed positively to the academic climate," said Director Joseph Jordan. "It's really kind of enhanced the idea that we are all working together."

To examine and promote African Diaspora and African-American cultures, the center has relied on a three-pronged approach of scholarly initiatives, cultural programming and community service.

This year's programs will revolve around a focus of black popular culture and struggle, beginning with a symposium Sept. 22.

"It's basically an umbrella which ties in a lot of different events," said Damien Jackson, the public relations officer for the center. "We're going to examine how art acts as resistance when it comes to black popular culture."

But the scope of the center's influence reaches far beyond traditionally African-American departments or organizations. In fact, leaders say, the center could not have succeeded without the interdisciplinary and interdepartmental support it received.

Jordan said the crowning achievement of the year was not so much the programs offered by the center but the community spirit these programs fostered.

"We're more pleased with the way that the University community has embraced us and with the collaborative relationship we've been able to build," he said.

William Ferris, an associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South who collaborated with the Stone Center last year, said its inaugural year should be counted as a resounding success and a credit to the University.

"It makes me enormously proud to show visitors the Stone Center," he said. "As a white person, it's very important for me to deal with my heritage and bring that perspective into my classroom."

The continent-spanning scope of the African Diaspora itself, Jackson argued, also broadens the center's reach.

"When your scope is the globe, you have a lot to draw from," he said.

Programs for the fall semester will focus on the South American aspect of the African Diaspora A-- from Latin films to lectures by Afro-Peruvian activists. Spanish translation will be available at all programs by request.

Arturo Escobar, who is associate director of the Carolina and Duke Consortium in Latin American and Caribbean Studies, said his group worked with the center to establish resources for growing scholarly interests in Afro-Latin American studies.

He said that while the center obviously deals with questions relating to black identity, any inquiry into race, ethnicity and the history of marginalized groups has wider application.

"Everyone should be interested," he said.

The building itself helped spur interest, and leaders said many groups took advantage of its facilities - although the center's location is a little off the beaten path, between Coker Hall and the Bell Tower.

Though the Stone Center is the only campus facility of its kind dedicated to a specific culture, it might be paving the way for other kinds of cultural centers.

Escobar said that with the growing Latino population in North Carolina, a push for a Latin- American cultural center could be a possibility in the next 10 or 15 years.

"It's not unthinkable," he said.

Brandon Hodges, president of the Black Student Movement, said many groups on campus benefit from the Stone Center building.

"There is a big difference having a freestanding structure than just having a room in the Union," Hodges said.

"It facilitates a variety of groups - not just African- American."