Tex-Mex pervades Chapel Hill

A new restaurant set to open in November will bring a new twist on an old favorite to Franklin Street.

Skis Tortilla Wrap Grill will make its home at 147 E. Franklin St., providing diners with an American twist on the Mexican burrito.

"There are no beans and no rice," said owner Bradley Smith.

Instead the restaurant will offer grilled tortillas with customers' choice of cheese, meat and other toppings.

Smith said [B]Skis will attract a college crowd because the hours have been built around students' late-night schedules.

The eatery will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday and from 10 a.m. to 4 a.m. Thursday to Saturday.

Although Tex-Mex is not new to the area, the number of venues serving south-of-the-border chow has expanded recently.

[B]Skis will join Qdoba, Cosmic Cantina, Carrburritos, Armadillo Grill and Burrito Bunker in offering hand-wrapped to order fare.

Aaron Nelson, executive director of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce said he thinks the recent surge of Tex-Mex places just follows the latest trend.

"Customers are showing support for the Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants right now," Nelson said. "But there was a time when they were supporting smoothies."

Business owners attribute the local explosion to the food's ability to be made quickly and for minimal cost - two things that are attractive to the college market.

"It's definitely our cost that helps attract the college crowd," said Cameron Sefrin, general manager of Qdoba.

"Our most successful time is our late-night," Sefrin added.

Cosmic Cantina has been providing late night meals to the Chapel Hill community for six years.

"The college kids make the business for us," said manager Luis Herrera.

Although college students contribute to their business, Carrburritos manager Mike Ellis said it's the area residents that keep business going all year.

Armadillo Grill, which has been at its Carrboro location for 12 years, also has been able to survive because of a steady local flow, assistant manager David Poindexter said.

Burrito Bunker, at 161 1/2 E. Franklin St., has been tucked into the back alley for the past 13 years and manager Shaun Dindial said he doesn't know how they've lasted so long.

"I guess we're just unique," Dindial said. "And it's good cooking."

But even with all the competition, Poindexter said the town is big enough for all the eateries.

"It's kind of like apples and oranges," he said.

"Sometimes I go to Carrburritos myself."