Trustees discuss tuition, budget, personnel issues

Special online extended edition

Trustee members will look at a broad report of graduate and professional tuition issues during the BOT meeting in November. Chairwoman of the Faculty Judith Wegner encouraged trustee members to take a closer look at graduate and professional tuition needs and how increases affect the university.

Provost Robert Shelton shared information regarding the 13 undergraduate, 33 graduate and five law school students who now are attending UNC after being displaced by Hurricane Katrina.

Officials have narrowed the search for a new director of the Morehead Planetarium to four candidates, said Margaret Jablonski, vice chancellor for student affairs.

A search committee is reviewing more than 100 nominations for a new dean of the UNC School of Law, Shelton said. Candidates will be interviewed in October or November.

John Jones, director of UNC Student Stores, said textbook prices have increased more than 6 percent annually since 1986, but Student Stores has kept prices low by offering a large selection of used books. UNC Student Stores continually exceeds the national average of used book sales. Student Stores has made $5 million in direct scholarship contributions since fiscal 2001 and has contributed $1 million to create a Student Stores endowment fund for merit scholarships, Jones said.

Dwayne Pinkney, assistant vice chancellor for finance and administration, said 24 percent of the Capital Improvement Plan has been completed on schedule and within the approved budget except for Memorial Hall, which opened later than officials had hoped. Pinkney said 39 projects are underway within the current budget and the vast majority are on schedule.

Trustees said they will review those projects that have not begun so they can consider the effects inflation will have on costs.

Members of the Tuition Task Force will meet Sept. 30 to discuss tuition recommendations they will make to the Board of Governors, said Nelson Schwab, chairman of the Board of Trustees.

Trustee Paul Fulton updated trustees on the Carolina First Campaign. The Campaign must average $11.3 million per month for the remaining 21 months of the campaign to reach the $1.8 billion goal.

The Audit and Finance committee of the Board of Trustees approved the issuance of the bonds for the Special Obligation Bond Project.