UNC sees improved workplace

Changes result of task force study

Two years after a campus task force convened to study ways to provide more benefits to University employees, most of its recommendations have come to fruition.

From the reinstitution of a clerical training program for employees to a new laptop loan service, the recommendations from the Chancellor's Task Force for a Better Workplace have enriched the working environment at UNC, said task force member Laurie Charest, who also is the associate vice chancellor for human resources.

The University's proactive approach is especially crucial when employees' wages, which are state-controlled, are slow to rise, she said.

"We were in another year where we knew our employees would not get another pay raise," Charest said. "The focus of the task force was to see what here on campus we could do to make this a better workplace."

The task force released their recommendations in January 2004 after conducting discussions, research and a campuswide survey, said Tommy Griffin, co-chairman of the task force and chairman of the Employee Forum.

"When (Chancellor James) Moeser came here, he said he believed in co-governance," Griffin said. "And he's practiced it from day one. He's given faculty, staff and students the opportunity to put their two-cents worth in and be part of the solution to all the issues."

One of those concerns - probably the most important, Charest said - was the lack of a place where employees could air grievances. To remedy this, Moeser created an ombudsman office in December 2004.

"The purpose of the ombudsman office is to provide a very objective place where people can bring their concerns and receive very neutral and confidential advice," she said.

Charest said the newly created office also would report any developing trends to Moeser.

"When we identify those trends, we have to be creative and proactive about how the University could resolve them," she said.

Another result of the task force's work was the revival of the basic clerical skills program. The program allows employees to develop office skills so they eventually can move into a clerical job on campus.

"We've had a lot of lower-paid people working in the groundskeeping and custodial services who now have better paying clerical jobs," Griffin said.

The restoration of clerical training conveniently coincided with the creation of a laptop loan program, which allows workers who are continuing their education to borrow computers from the University.

Twenty-seven employees already have taken advantage of the program, said Katherine Graves, a program assistant in the maternal and child health department who oversees the loan process.

"Everybody should have the opportunity to learn and to grow in their skills," Graves said.

Other implementations include an emergency cash loan program, subsidies for van-pooling, and a part-time degree program.

With most of the recommendations in effect, Griffin said the task force had an impact on campus.

"The task force is a small, but important step to improve the lives of those in our communities."