Grassroots festival hot despite rain

Online exclusive

The scene at the Shakori Hills Grassroots Festival of Music and Dance this weekend was like Doc Watson's "Deep River Blues."

The second autumn run of the four-day music and arts gathering on a farm in Silk Hope, just south of the Orange-Chatham county line, saw four days of cloudy skies.

But the rain fell to the piercing tones of an African kora or a Cajun accordion as to Watson's signature bluegrass instruments..

On Thursday it poured throughout the evening - indiscriminate of bluegrass or zydeco or reggae.

There were stories of tents transformed into wading pools, and the mud was ankle-deep.

By Friday the biodiesel-fueled truck shuttling festival-goers to the campgrounds was getting stuck periodically, but the driving rain only seemed to encourage the drenched audience at the Mamar Kassey show to dance harder.

In a combination of English and French, the band - a nine-piece group from Niger, in central Africa - thanked the audience for persevering through the rain.

"L'amour - Shakori," said lead singer Yacouba Moumouni.

The rain let up some early Saturday morning - just as Keith Frank and the Soileu Zydeco Band got hot in the dance tent.

"That accordion never let up," said N.C. State senior Elizabeth Ingram. "I had to dance."

The festival spreads out twice a year through the 75-acre Shakori Hills farm, with four stages tucked among the trees and open fields.

Robert Mitchner, who owns Shakori Hills, was everywhere, always with his yellow raincoat around his waist - handing out parking passes, driving the biodiesel truck and playing bass for bluegrass ensemble Big Fat Gap.

On Saturday, when the sun made brief appearances through the clouds, Mitchner kept the raincoat but added his sunglasses.

"There's some sun for you folks," he told the crowd before the Big Fat Gap show.

The sun stayed out for another kora player, Mamadou Diabate, a Mali native who created an orchestra's worth of sound out of the 21-stringed instrument.

Mist sprinkled down Saturday night for an hours-late but ever-popular Donna the Buffalo, whose lead singer Tara Nevins plays the accordion, among other instruments.

Donna helped get the festival started in 2003, when they sponsored a Shakori branch of the Finger Lakes GrassRoots Festival in Ithaca, N.Y.

While Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band didn't start until 2 a.m. Sunday, the band's claim, "Everybody dances at the Booty show!" was proved by the well-churned mud.