Leaders urge students to come out for week

Events to focus on sexuality, ethnicity

Today marks the start of Coming Out Week, a time devoted to making nonheterosexuals feel comfortable at UNC and uniting the University community as a whole.

"We are not just the (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer) community," said Pooja Gupta, co-chairwoman of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Transgender- Straight Alliance. "We are the Carolina community, and it is important for everyone to feel comfortable."

"It is important to accept everyone as whole people."

This year, members of GLBT-SA said Coming Out Week will focus on the intersection of sexuality and ethnicity.

"We hope to erase stereotypes," said Tommy Rimbach, co-chairman of GLBT-SA. He said that not all LGBTQ people fit society's perception of nonheterosexual people, and that the depth and diversity of this group deserves recognition.

Some highlights of UNC's Coming Out Week include a drag show and speeches by Log Cabin Republicans President Patrick Guerriero and Chapel Hill Town Council Member Mark Kleinschmidt.

There will be a picnic at noon today in the Pit and a speech given by Guerriero at 7 p.m. in Carroll 111.

Rimbach said the events help promote a welcoming atmosphere for nonheterosexual people.

"The week makes it possible for people to come out safely in an accepting environment," he said.

Deciding to come out can be a hard process, he said, and the week provides access to helpful resources.

"The week is designed to create the opportunity to come out to the community and to encourage others to," said GLBT-SA secretary Jessica Stewart.

Tuesday marks National Coming Out Day, the 18th anniversary of 600,000 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and their allies marching on Washington, D.C.

The GLBT-SA will celebrate the day with a drag show in the Great Hall of the Student Union.

A Brown Bag Lunch and Coming Out Discussion will be held Wednesday, as well as a keynote address - "Standing at the Crossroads: Life at the Intersection of Black and LGBTQ Culture" - by Dr. David Malebranche, professor of medicine at Emory University and a specialist in black men's health.

Afterwards, there will be a Super Social Hour and a Half in the Class of 2000 Lounge in the Student Union.

That night there will be a screening of "De Colores" and a talk on racism, sexism and homophobia called "Staying Out of the Prison of the Isms".

Group members said Coming Out Week is important for everyone at UNC, including those outside of the LGBTQ community.

"Allies to the queer community are important," Rimbach said.

"Their support makes the overall environment more welcoming and safe."

The event also provides the visibility necessary for community tolerance and acceptance.

Stewart said it is important to learn to accommodate diverse groups of people.

"We're going to meet lots of diversity in our lives."