Looking out for the futuro

The increasing language barrier between immigrant Latino workers and medical staff, and the inaccessibility of these services has encouraged the founding of new nonprofit organization, El Futuro, which opened Monday.

El Futuro - located at the Interfaith Council for Social Services' location in Carrboro - is headed by former Orange-Person-Chatham area program staffer Karen Currant and will provide mental health services like substance abuse awareness and prevention programs, adolescent transition programs and psychological therapy, among others to Hispanics of all ages.

"We are trying to provide a friendlier face on mental health," says Currant.

The program will coordinate its efforts with those of the primary local health center, Carrboro Community Health Center.

Ben Banderas, senior project manager for El Centro Latino, a nonprofit organization that provides social services to the Hispanic population, said there is a "need for bilingual mental health services" in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro community.

"People come in looking for family counseling, substance abuse and other services," he says.

As a long-term goal, El Futuro also plans to expand its services to neighboring communities.

"We are hoping to do collaborative work with other nonprofits," Currant said.

The center's expansion plans include enlarging El Futuro to Siler City in a mutual effort with the local community health center to address its large immigrant population.

The program met their insurance down payment which enabled them to start Monday.

"We have launched, and are currently accepting patient referrals," said El Futuro staffer Luke Smith.

The official first day of operation will be today. The center will then hold a staff training session to address issues like providing medical attention across language barriers to minorities.

The center will begin accepting patients this Monday at El Futuro's clinic. The following week, it will see people already interned in the Carrboro Community Health Center.

Currently the center has organized women's depression group and has received various requests for child psychiatrists.

Despite meeting its launch date, the center still needs to cover operating costs.

The center has sent more than 200 letters petitioning donations but are still short.

The center is still accepting tax deductible donations through their Web site www.elfuturo-nc.org or by check to P.O. BOX 2135 Chapel Hill, NC 27515.