Students met with open ears

Student leaders were not the only ones striking up conversation during the Office of Student Affairs open office hours Tuesday afternoon.

Since the open hours were reintroduced three weeks ago, students have been stopping by with general questions more than anything else, said Christopher Payne, associate vice chancellor for student affairs.

Payne is one of the four student affairs administrators who allot time from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. every Tuesday in Steele 104 to address questions or concerns.

"One of the values of having these office hours, and the dean of students office in general, is to help students figure out where to go with their concerns if we aren't able to fully help them here," he said.

About four or five nonstudent-leaders come by each week, an increase from the two or three that came by last year.

Winston Crisp, senior associate dean of students, stressed the importance of the hours.

"We can't really help or be helpful unless students continue to take advantage of this."

In addition to helping students direct their specific questions, the administrators say they are excited just to be meeting the students.

"Even if they don't have a pressing issue and they just want to get to know us, we hope they'll be stopping by," Crisp said.

"It's just a great opportunity for us to be completely accessible to students."

Student Body Vice President Adrian Johnston said the direct contact with the administrators is an asset to the student body.

"This amazing level of access can't always be found at other institutions," he said.

Johnston, along with Student Body President Seth Dearmin and Mike Brady, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, met Tuesday with Margaret Jablonski, vice chancellor for student affairs, during the office hours.

They discussed a number of campus issues, including how best to present student concerns to the Board of Trustees.

Interfraternity Council President Tom Merrihew stopped by to speak with Jablonski about the recent fraternity summit.

"She wanted to get my feedback and give me hers," Merrihew said.

Jablonski said that she also has spoken with students about voting on campus.

The office soon will start up a series of lunches with leaders of the various student organizations.

"We invite 20 or so students to lunch with the vice chancellor for open discussion of whatever issue they want to bring up," Jablonski said.

Last year, about 10 of these lunches were held.

Crisp said that the open office hours were more of an "individualized initiative" than the lunches.

All four administrators stressed that all students should take the time to stop by, not just the leaders.

"Obviously, this time is really helpful for us as student leaders," Dearmin said. "But I encourage the student body to take advantage of this opportunity and stop by. They always have good candy, too."