Lottery progresses despite allegations

The N.C. State Educational Lottery beat the odds in 2005.

After almost 12 years of debate in the N.C. General Assembly, a lottery bill passed both chambers.

Both votes were close and it took Lt. Gov. Beverly Purdue to cast the tie-breaking vote in the Senate.

In the following months the Lottery Commission was formed and began searching for a director. But progress was clouded by the resignation of a prominent commissioner with industry ties.

Kevin Geddings, a member of the commission, faced accusations of inappropriate connections with lottery vendor Scientific Games.

Scientific Games later revealed it paid Geddings a total of $24,000 last year for services.

At the beginning of November, House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, appointed former UNC-Charlotte Chancellor James Woodward to replace Geddings.

"I am confident his extensive background as an educator and high moral character will ensure that future lottery proceeds truly do benefit the children of our state," Black said in a statement.

The commission continued to interview potential candidates for director despite the shake-up.

In announcing its choice for director Nov. 17, the commission touted Tom Shaheen's high ethical standards.

Shaheen served the last five years as the chief executive of the New Mexico state lottery.

"We felt very fortunate in being able to attract an individual who has had lottery startup experience," said Charles Sanders, commission chairman.

Commissioners stressed that their work will remain above the ongoing fray about legislative lobbying and irregularities in how the lottery bill was crafted.

Commissioner Jim Woodward said, "There has not been a single decision made by this commission that has been affected by that."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.