New awards to honor women

UNC works to fill Bell Award's gap

March 24 - With a clear vision of how to fill the gap left by the retirement of the University's most prestigious award for women, officials decided Wednesday that the best solution is to create two new awards.

The women's award committee - comprising female faculty, staff and student leaders - settled on a proposal for awards that will honor the extraordinary efforts of women and advocates for the advancement of women at UNC.

"We have the option, if we decide it might be best, to create two new awards," said Jen Bushman, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation.

Chancellor James Moeser retired the Cornelia Phillips Spencer Bell Award, UNC's highest honor for women, in December after a group of community members protested what they said were Spencer's white supremacist beliefs.

At the time, Moeser said he did so because many women he talked to said they wouldn't feel comfortable accepting the award, which was named after Spencer largely because of the role she played in reopening the University after it closed during Reconstruction.

Soon after, he formed the awards panel and asked it to assess the need for awards recognizing women's accomplishments at the University.

Members said they found more gaps than they previously expected.

"The Bell Award was oriented toward patting women on the back for contributing to the University," said Diane Kjervik, director of the Carolina Women's Center.

She added that the retirement of the award left the University without sufficient ways to honor women.

The committee plans to adopt significant portions of the Bell Award in the creation of a new award to recognize women for their outstanding contributions to UNC.

"Women do thousands of things - not necessarily for just women," Bushman said. "They need to be recognized."

The group also proposed a second honor that comprises three awards, given annually to any student, staff or faculty member, that will be modeled after the University of California-San Francisco's Chancellor's Award for the Advancement of Women.

The three awards would not be gender specific and would be given to individuals for their efforts to elevate women's overall status on campus.

"I'm very glad that we went with four awards to expand the recognition of women," Kjervik said. "It's a stronger statement that this University values women and their contributions to it."

If campus officials accept the committee's proposals, members said, they also will request monetary gifts for recipients.