UNC gives bigger bang for buck

Named best college value for 5th time

For the fifth straight time Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine has named UNC the best value among U.S. public colleges and universities.

The magazine's February issue, which hit newsstands Tuesday, highlighted UNC's financial aid program and academic strengths.

Data was collected from more than 500 public four-year colleges, and the top 100 schools are listed in the magazine.

Academics, costs and financial aid programs factored in the report. Academic quality carried the most weight in the study, according to the article.

"That combination (of academics and low cost) is going to be very valuable after students graduate," said Kimberly Lankford, a contributing editor at the magazine who wrote the story.

She said the magazine placed emphasis on academics to ensure that top schools were providing a solid education and a low price tag.

The University of Florida finished just behind UNC in the ranking. The University of Virginia, the College of William and Mary and the New College of Florida rounded out the top five.

UNC also finished third among public universities in value for out-of-state students.

"What really pleases me - is it really recognized the quality, excellence of the University along with the cost," Chancellor James Moeser said of the article.

Steve Farmer, director of undergraduate admissions, said the publicity generated also can help attract students to UNC.

"It can get the attention of students who might not otherwise consider the school," he said. "It never hurts."

Additional merit-based scholarships and the Carolina First fundraising campaign also were mentioned.

The magazine, which last issued a report in November 2003, considered as a positive aspect the fall 2004 addition of the Carolina Covenant, a program dedicated to graduating UNC students from low-income families without debt.

And as the campus gears up for another round of tuition talks this month, officials underscored a priority on need-based aid.

"We've used tuition increases to make the University better - but we've held needy students harmless," Moeser said.

When tuition increases do occur, at least 35 percent of the new revenue goes into the undergraduate financial aid budget, said Shirley Ort, director of scholarships and student aid.

"This (recognition) reaffirms that our policies are working even in the face of recent increases," she said. "Value is about whether you're getting a really good education for a reasonable cost."