Carolina North gets point person

New post to help with town relations

University officials have laid the ground work for Carolina North for more than three years and have been working to push forward plans for UNC's proposed satellite campus.

But this year marks the first time UNC will have a leader who works full-time planning for the research campus.

Jack Evans, a former dean of the Kenan-Flagler Business School, was appointed by Chancellor James Moeser in late July to serve the newly created position of executive director of Carolina North.

He took over the post Aug. 1, and his initial appointment is for two years.

"There is someone here now who thinks about Carolina North as their primary occupation, which is in itself an important statement that we are really committed to moving this forward," Moeser said.

He added that the appointment was spurred by several developments, chiefly the departure this summer of Nancy Suttenfield, former vice chancellor for finance and administration.

"(Suttenfield) had been in many ways a quarterback for town relations," Moeser said. "I thought we weren't on our side well-organized or properly organized."

Evans will coordinate UNC's involvement with the Leadership Advisory Committee - of which he is a member. The committee is charged with seeking community input about Carolina North.

Once this work is complete, Evans will be responsible for taking community feedback into account as proposals are developed for zoning and development plan applications.

"I think the important issue, in regards to Carolina North, is that there be an effective, open dialogue about what the University needs to do, wants to do and how they would go about it," Evans said.

Barry Jacobs, chairman of the Orange County Board of Commissioners, works with Evans as a member of the advisory committee. He said Evans has an emphatic, no-nonsense style.

But Jacobs said it's too soon to tell what kind of an impact Evans will have. "We should be able to continue to move forward," he said.

Jacobs added that in the past he's enjoyed working with Tony Waldrop, vice chancellor of research and economic development, and Mark Crowell, associate vice chancellor for economic development and technology transfer. Both are members of the committee.

Waldrop said he will continue his work on the project, and added that Evans' appointment will help facilitate better conversation at UNC.

Jacobs said it is mainly a matter of establishing trust with the new leadership. "We all want what we think is for the betterment of our constituents," he said.

At its May meeting, UNC's Board of Trustees mandated that the advisory committee present its findings at the board's March 2007 meeting. Oct. 1, 2007 was set as the deadline for UNC to submit zoning and development applications.

"Working through these milestones . that's where my focus will be," Evans said.

Contact the University Editor at udesk@unc.edu.