CUAB to offer comedy, concerts and more

Carolina Union Activities Board President Erika Stallings wants students to know that the Student Union is more than a place to grab a bagel, and that CUAB is more than just that group behind those weekend movies. "CUAB is a place where dreams happen," Stallings said. "We just have so many resources, and people are excited about programming and doing things for the student body." With a mission to develop educational and entertaining programs for students, Stallings said the student-run organization plans to build upon past successes. Although current CUAB members have a grand vision for this school year, Stallings said the organization needs more members to make it happen. There will be an event Sept. 6 in the Pit where students can learn more about CUAB and its 17 committees. "Committee members are the heart of CUAB. They come up with a lot of the programming ideas, then the chairs take that to the board," Stallings said. "Then the committee does a lot of work, so you get a lot of experience and are able to get a lot of your ideas done." According to Stallings, CUAB puts on about 150 programs each year. Besides its weekend movie showings, it will continue to sponsor the Carolina Comedy Festival, featuring Lewis Black, and the annual Homecoming concert. "There's a commitment and responsibility because we do receive a third of student activity fees," Stallings said. "I'm someone who watches CUAB with awe of all that could be done because we have such a large budget that other student organizations don't have." Possible events for the year include an open-mic night with poetry and book readings, cabaret committee chairwoman Rebecca Knight said. "I want to create an environment where students can learn something new," she said. Thanks to a partnership forged with Cat's Cradle last spring, CUAB will co-sponsor singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens in a concert Sept. 21 in Memorial Hall. Music committee chairman Robert Gurdian said that although larger venue concerts present a great opportunity, CUAB prefers to emphasize local music, bringing in one to two acts a month. "We try and bring . concerts with a focus on local and student musicians," he said. Stallings said that because CUAB receives funding from student fees, she - like Gurdian - is committed to having smaller events throughout the year. "Every year, people will always come up and ask, 'why don't you bring Kanye West?'" she said. "He costs like $250,000, and the purpose of CUAB really isn't to blow all of our money at one time - it's to put on programs throughout the year." Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.