Plan could displace baseball team

Residents' concerns focused on traffic

If proposed modifications to UNC's development plan get approved, baseball players at UNC might have to spend some time playing on another field.

Proposed renovations to Boshamer Stadium could take longer than just the offseason.

Upgrading Boshamer and Kenan stadiums are among the University's goals with the third modification to the development plan, submitted to the town of Chapel Hill in August.

The development plan is linked to the campus master plan, which guides development for the next 50 years.

Under Chapel Hill zoning ordinances, the town must approve all modifications to the plan.

Proposed changes to Boshamer include additional seating, concessions and restrooms, as well as a new batting tunnel, lighting improvements and the addition of a field maintenance building.

At Kenan the field house would be torn down, and boxed seating would be added so that the stadium would form a complete oval. Services located in the field house would move to a 100,000-square-foot space below the boxed seating, said Willie Scroggs, senior associate athletic director.

It is unclear exactly when the renovations would start, but the Chapel Hill Town Council is scheduled to make a decision about approving the modifications Dec. 4.

If renovations at Boshamer can't be completed during the offseason, Scroggs said they would consider using another field.

Although nothing has been nailed down, Scroggs said the athletics department is looking at local high schools and the Durham Bulls stadium as possible alternate locations.

"When that's all complete we'll have a place that will be a lot better for the baseball players and a lot better for the spectators," Scroggs said.

But it wasn't the possible season changes that peaked the interest of residents at an information session Wednesday night.

Anna Wu, director of facilities, planning and construction, wielded questions from residents concerned about traffic and pedestrian safety.

"Being physically fit is popular now," said Betsy Malpass, a resident of the Kings Mill-Morgan Creek neighborhood. "So now is the time to make getting around on campus by bike and by foot safe for everyone."

Residents voiced concern that the allocation of parking spaces on South Campus could cause congestion on Manning Drive.

Wu said the University is updating its transportation impact analysis, which will shed more light on how many cars actually use the road.

Counters are tracking those numbers right now.

Council member Jim Ward came to the meeting as an elected official, a resident and the curator of the N.C. Botanical Gardens.

Ward said one thing that will make for interesting discussion is the increasing concern about the impact projects have during the construction phase.

Ward said it is clear what the major topic of discussion for the council will be.

"I think you heard it here tonight," he said. "It's going to be traffic associated with the parking."

Now that the formal application has been submitted, the proposal will be given to the planning board for its review.

The council will hold a public hearing about the plan Nov. 13 before making its decision in December.

Contact the City Editor at citydesk@unc.edu.