Birth of a summer book

Committee picks freshman reading

Incoming freshmen have just been assigned their first homework assignment.

The University's summer reading selection committee unanimously decided Monday to recommend "The Death of Innocents: An Eyewitness Account of Wrongful Executions," by Sister Helen Prejean, as the 2007 summer reading book.

The book tells the stories of two men who Sister Prejean claims were wrongfully executed. Sister Prejean, a nun, followed the men from appellate hearings to the death chamber.

"I think everybody was most excited about this (book) because it is an issue that's very topical," said Doug Kelly, chairman of the committee and professor in the Department of Statistics and Operations Research.

"It's on a controversial topic by someone who takes a definite point of view," Kelly added. "But it leaves open the possibility of discussion of all points of view."

Committee members said they were impressed with how the author presented her case against the death penalty in an nonconfrontational way.

"Students who are for the death penalty will be forced to defend their position," said junior Allison Rose, a committee member. "But I don't think the book is in any way offensive."

Past selections have been met with controversy. In 2002, Michael Sells' "Approaching the Qur'án: The Early Revelations" was the selection. Three UNC students filed a lawsuit, claiming the book violated the separation of church and state.

The summer reading program, which is not required, aims to get first-year students thinking critically through small discussion groups guided by administrators or faculty members. Discussions are held before the fall semester begins.

"It needs to be a book that allows for the transition . from what happens in high school to a kind of university-level discussion," said Annegret Fauser, a music professor and committee member.

But finding the perfect book takes time, Kelly said. The committee began meeting in the fall, with 218 recommended books for the nine-member group to read.

"It was easy in the beginning to get rid of books that the committee felt were misplaced," Rose said. "While they weren't bad books, they weren't right for this selection."

Other finalist books the committee considered included: "The Omnivore's Dilemma," by Michael Pollan; "Honky," by Dalton Conley; "With These Hands: The Hidden World of Migrant Farmworkers Today," by Daniel Rothenberg; and "The Wal-Mart Effect," by Charles Fishman.

"One of the hardest things was realizing that there are just a whole lot of good books, and we just have to weed them out," Kelly said.

After settling on the book committee members said they thought they found the right book.

"I hope students read it," Rose said. "I couldn't put it down."

Contact the University Editor at udesk@unc.edu.

Past summer reading selections
2006: "The Namesake": The first work of fiction chosen by the committee. The novel follows the path of an Indian immigrant family as they adjust to life in the United States.

2005: "Blood Done Sign My Name: A True Story": Students discussed an account of the culture of white supremacy and black uprising and the circumstances surrounding a racial murder, in 1970s Oxford.

2004: "Absolutely American": The book chronicles young West Point cadets as they experience the military academy and the aftermath of Sept. 11, 2001.

2003: "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America": The selection of a journalist's account of the low-wage
workforce prompts disagreement from a state legislator over the book's merit.