Student Rameses fighting for survival

Shocked campus rallies in support of Ray

UNC senior Jason Ray, a member of the cheerleading squad who has worn the Rameses mascot suit for the past three seasons, is still in critical condition after being struck by a car late Friday afternoon.

Ray, 21, is being treated at Hackensack University Medical Center, where friends say he is on life support with serious injuries to his head.

UNC senior James Jolley, who has known Ray since his freshman year, said that Ray still has some brain activity and that doctors are conducting more tests. He is breathing with the help of a respirator.

“We’re praying for a miracle,” Jolley said. “He has so much life within him. If anyone can make it, I know Jason Ray can.”

Ray was in the area for the Tar Heels’ Sweet 16 tournament game in East Rutherford against the University of Southern California and was returning to his hotel after purchasing food at a convenience store.

Ray’s parents flew up to New Jersey on Friday to be with him. His two brothers also are there, and several friends have made the journey or are planning to, said senior Jessica Holmes, a longtime friend of Ray.

“Right now, we’re all in shock,” Holmes said. “He’s just a great guy. He doesn’t deserve this.”

Gagik Hovsepyan, 51, of Paramus, N.J., was on Route 4 trying to exit when he hit Ray with his 2006 Mercury Mountaineer, according to a press release from the nearby Fort Lee Police Department. Hovsepyan stopped his vehicle to help and called police. His son was asleep in the vehicle at the time.

The release states that Hovsepyan did not appear to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. No criminal charges have been issued.

Although several other people stopped, they left prior to the police’s arrival, and no witnesses were found at the scene.

Ray, a business administration major from Concord, is an active member of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship and the lead singer of Nine P.M. Traffic, a band that he and some friends started in high school.

Jolley, who is the large group coordinator for InterVarsity, said that Ray has been leading Bible study groups since his sophomore year and that this year Ray has helped lead a Bible study for off-campus upperclassmen.

“We put him there in a leadership position because we knew he had the kind of personality to draw people to him,” Jolley said.

Sophomore Tyler Treadaway, who also portrays Rameses, said that Ray has been like a big brother to him and sophomore Brad Lockwood, the third man behind the ram.

“When I’ve got problems with Rameses or problems with something . Jason’s always looking out for us.

“It’s like having a big brother. I don’t have one, so he’s the closest thing.”

Ray told The Daily Tar Heel in February that he’s enjoyed his time as Rameses.

“I decided I was going to make it worthwhile,” Ray said about the Rameses job. “I just act like a big cartoon character.”

With the most experience as Rameses under his belt, Ray is the leader of the three mascots. Together, they help coordinate schedules.

Lockwood was in Texas this weekend for the women’s basketball tournament, while Treadaway remained in Chapel Hill to participate in Relay for Life.

As word of the accident leaked out, friends mobilized to support each other and Ray.

Members of the UNC cheerleading squad decided to sport stickers saying “We heart JR” during the men’s basketball game against Georgetown on Sunday.

InterVarsity had a prayer service Sunday night, which was attended by more than 100 students.

“Our job tonight is to fight with (Ray),” said Alex Kirk, campus minister for InterVarsity.

Students hung three posters outside the auditorium that read, “Our prayers of hope and love for our brother Jason from his UNC family.” As people filtered in, they wrote messages to Ray and his family.

“Please know that you and your family are in our prayers. I know God is capable of pulling you through this,” one message read.

The posters will be taken to New Jersey by others who plan to travel there and will be given to Ray’s family.

At the service, students sang songs and prayed. Some were embracing, and many huddled together, whispering or silently praying.

“For our community, we needed to come together,” Kirk said.

The men’s basketball team was informed of the accident after their victory against USC.

“It’s very, very difficult, what’s happening. I did know the youngster, but not on a personal basis,” coach Roy Williams said Saturday.

“He came up to me and said, ‘Hey, I’m the guy that wears the suit.’ So we had a conversation. Most every game I would come by the bench, and I would shake hands with him.”

Athletics Director Dick Baddour also released a statement Friday night expressing his support.

“We are deeply saddened by this tragic accident,” he said in the statement. “Our hearts go out to Jason and his family, and our prayers are with them.”

Treadaway said most are just waiting, hoping for the best possible outcome. “You can’t ask for a better person,” Treadaway said. “He’s the epitome of being a mascot.”

Senior writer Daniel Malloy contributed to this report.