Dean Smith ready for flu season

Coach Dean Smith vaccinated at flu shot drive

Dean Smith was cheered on at Homestead Road’s Robert and Pearl Seymour Center on Tuesday – just not for his legendary basketball coaching.

“Wave your hands. Stomp your feet. Roll up your sleeve and get a flu shot,” three adult cheerleaders chanted to Smith as he received the first flu shot of the day, leading the way for other seniors to do the same.

The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services put on the flu shot drive to stress the importance of the vaccine for people older than 50.

Smith said getting the flu shot is something he does every year.

“I used to leave the sideline, get the shot and come back,” he said, adding that this happened only during practice, not games.

State Health Director Dr. Leah Devlin said that it is important for everyone to get the flu shot but that seniors, people with chronic health problems, pregnant women and children under 5 years of age have the highest risk of catching aggressive flu.

She said this year there are more than enough flu shots for everyone who wants one. The United States has a 132 million supply – more than any previous year and about 20 million more than last year.

In past years, there have been vaccine shortages.

Carol Kozel, nursing director for Campus Health Services, said more than 1,000 flu shots will be in supply for students at UNC. But there are far more students – about 28,000 – who might want the shot.

“We have always depleted our supply and anticipate to do so again,” she said.

Campus Health will be hosting four clinics to receive flu shots on campus. The first will be held Oct. 24 in Cobb Residence Hall. Students can call to make an appointment at Campus Health or at one of the clinics. The shot is $20 for students.

So far, no cases have been reported for this flu season, which starts in October and ends in February, Devlin said, adding that with the peak of the flu season coming up, this month is a crucial time for the shot. “We encourage people to get the flu shot beginning now in October through January.”

But Kozel said students have many options other than on-campus sites to receive the flu shot.

BlueCross BlueShield is offering flu clinics throughout the country, and as long as members bring their insurance card and a photo ID, they can get the shot for free. Pharmacies, family doctors and senior centers are giving anyone who wants the shot easy access.

Devlin said that it’s too early to tell if this will be a heavy or light year for the virus but that the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services has seven sites monitoring flu activity.

Lee Pavao, president of the Friends of the Seymour Center, got the shot at the center Tuesday.

“The old adage that an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure applies.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide