Black groups grow with time

Since African Americans were first admitted as UNC undergraduates in 1955, numerous black professional, social and service-related student groups have formed at UNC.

These groups, such as historically black fraternities and sororities, developed as part of the University by providing a sense of community for its members, said Archie Ervin, associate provost for diversity and multicultural affairs.

"White people did not interact with those black groups at all," Ervin said. "The (Black Student Movement) and black Greeks made it easier for black students to come on campus."

Lena Eastin, president of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., a historically black sorority, said the sorority focuses on "service, scholarship and sisterhood."

"The goals of the founding members at UNC were to promote excellence and awareness within the black community of our academic strength," she said.

Eastin added that when Delta Sigma Theta started a UNC chapter in 1973, there was a lot of racial tension within the University.

"Their goal was to show that we could be leaders in the community and advocate for change," she said.

Delta Sigma Theta and other historically black Greek organizations continue to serve the UNC and local communities today.

Adam Williamson, the president of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., a historically black fraternity, said his organization focuses on diversity and community service.

"We were established as a frat that wanted to make all of the frats come together around the idea of service," he said. "We wanted to bridge the gap of the social component that you see in the media."

But Greek organizations are not the only student groups looking to serve the needs of minority communities. There are also a variety of non-Greek black student organizations on campus.

The Carolina Association of Black Journalists is a student organization that works to diversify the journalism field while preparing members for media careers.

"It allows us to build a small network within each other because we are a small world," said Amanda Rodrigues Smith, president of the association. "There are a small number of African-American students in the school."

"I feel that when you think of things like the black press and the journalists that wrote, they were courageous, and they were also community leaders," she said. "That is also what we're transitioning the group into."

Contact the University Editor at udesk@unc.edu.