Coonin celebrates CAA win

2-13-coonin-RAR.jpg
Andrew Coonin celebrates his unchallenged victory in the race to be Carolina Athletic Association president Tuesday night in Carroll Hall.

Photos from election night

Andrew Coonin was this year's only candidate for Carolina Athletic Association president" but that didn't stop him from leaping to his feet and cheering when Board of Elections Chairman Mitchell Capriglione declared him the winner.

Coonin who now serves as CAA's vice president under senior Colby Almond" said he is ready to take the reins of the student-run athletic organization.

""I really care about CAA" and I want to get the most out of it" Coonin said.

The junior public policy and dramatic art major joined the CAA's Homecoming committee at the end of his freshman year and was named the organization's vice president in 2007.

Coonin, who claimed during his campaign that CAA's responsibilities encompass more than negotiating basketball ticket policy, said he will begin assembling his cabinet before he even takes office.

I already have a retreat planned so we can come together as a group"" he said. We're definitely going to take some time to evaluate what we did this year.""

He also plans to revamp CAA's Web site" send out monthly newsletters on the organization's activities and coordinate volunteer projects with Special Olympics Orange County and Campus Y's Big Buddy mentor program.

Although his race was uncontested" Coonin said he enjoyed campaigning because of the opportunities to engage with students.

""You know" it's fun" he said. The whole process is something that you do put a lot of effort into. I thought it was my duty to the students to do that.""