Sunday, June 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

To Bob Harrison public affairs officer for the U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion in Raleigh the most important part of his job is giving people the opportunities they need to achieve life goals.

But last week more than 50 Cedar Ridge High School juniors passed up the opportunity to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test an Army test that pinpoints mathematical" reading and mechanical skills.

""It helps individuals know strengths and weaknesses at that moment"" Harrison said. Schools and guidance counselors can use data in helping plot their students' futures.""

There were reports that three students were sent to in-school suspension for refusing to take the test" but Cedar Ridge Principal Gary Thornburg said the students weren't disciplined for not taking the test.

Other students did not participate because they didn't want the Army to have their test scores" he said.

Thornburg said the school did not automatically release students' scores to recruiters. Students still could choose to release their scores.

The test was given to the entire junior class for the first time. Previously students had to sign up to take the test.

""Some people say schools target only certain kids and only gave tests to students that would be better suited for the military"" Thornburg said. But we did it for everybody so that it wouldn't seem like a military recruitment tool.""

As part of the No Child Left Behind Act" student information such as names and addresses is given to the military even if students do not take the ASVAB.

Ben Carroll a member of the UNC chapter of Students for a Democratic Society" said neither the tests nor the military should be in high schools.

""Military recruiters often hound students"" Carroll said, adding that recruiters often promise job training and money for college. They give you tons of promises.""

But Harrison said military recruiters in high schools focus on helping students realize and achieve their life goals.

""We focus on what it is that you want to do with your future" experiment with different career options and give you an opportunity to gauge what your future is going to hold" Harrison said.

The district might re-evaluate the new test policy, Orange County Board of Education member Al Hartkopf said, due to misinterpretations of this year's examination and its involvement with recruitment.

I think that we probably will discuss changes before the ASVAB comes back around.""

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide