Wednesday February 8th

No campouts allowed for Iron & Wine tickets

Student tickets available Feb. 21

Students hoping to fill the most coveted seats to rock-folk group Iron & Wine's concert on April 15 in Memorial Hall won't be allowed to pitch tents to secure their spots in line when tickets go on sale Feb. 21. In previous years camping out for tickets has been allowed for events sponsored by the Carolina Union Activities Board and Cat's Cradle, the organizations sponsoring Iron & Wine with opener, Califone. However, CUAB changed its policy at the beginning of the school year to comply with campuswide policy. Tickets for students cost $10 each and will go on sale beginning at 10 a.m. Feb. 21 at the Memorial Hall box office. General public tickets, if available, will be sold for $23 Feb. 26 at etix.com. "Traditionally camping out means setting up a tent, but in this case it means sleeping or being in line for a length of time before tickets are being distributed," said Robert Gurdian, Carolina Union president. "We will probably set the time people can line up at sometime between 6 and 8 a.m." Almost 40 students camped out overnight to purchase seats to see 2006 Homecoming concert with The Roots. Last spring all 900 student tickets for Ben Folds sold out in less than two hours after many pitched tents in front of Memorial Hall for more than 20 hours. Tom Allin, CUAB music committee chairman, said that despite the new policy, he is confident Iron & Wine will see a sold-out crowd. "(Iron & Wine) is the type of band that's known and admired in lots of different circles," Allin said. "I can't think of how many times I've been on friend's computers and seen their music on their iTunes." Collaboration with Cat's Cradle allows CUAB to host marquee acts for a fraction of the price - bringing Iron & Wine will cost the student organization $11,700. And while Allin said the setting for Iron & Wine would ideally be a small, intimate venue, Memorial Hall is the best option to host the group because of popular interest. "Any smaller venue would leave people unsatisfied in terms of capacity," Allin said. "Their new album is something that's intricate but kind of complex and mature enough that it really can fill a space like Memorial." Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu. Want to buy tickets to see Iron & Wine?

• Students can purchase tickets beginning 10 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 21 at the Memorial Hall box office.
  • Tickets are $10 for UNC students with a valid One Card. Limit one ticket per One Card, two One Cards per person.
  • General public tickets will go on sale for $23 at www.etix.com if available Tuesday, Feb. 26.
  • On the day of the show, remaining tickets will cost $25 for the general public.

• Comments

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition