Police log

• Police arrested Kimberly Oswald Buchanan, 34, of 803 Peace St. in Hillsborough, for felony possession of a stolen license plate and misdemeanor counts of drug possession and driving with a revoked license, according to Chapel Hill police reports. Police arrested Buchanan at 3:26 p.m. Monday at a traffic stop at Estes Drive and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, according to reports. Police also seized Schedule VI narcotics from her possession, reports state. Buchanan was released on written promise to appear in court April 7 in Hillsborough, reports state.
  • Someone broke into a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta on Monday afternoon in a parking lot at 161 Rams Plaza, according to Chapel Hill police reports. After the breaking the window and causing $150 in damage, the suspect stole a global positioning system unit, valued at $499, from the car, according to reports.
  • Police ticketed Baboucarr Mbye Mackalo, 27, of 4800 University Road in Durham, after he was recorded speeding 70 mph in a 45 mph zone on N.C. 54 Bypass early Tuesday, according to Chapel Hill police reports. Mackalo gave the officer permission to search his 2007 Nissan Sentra, and police discovered 13 grams of marijuana, reports state. Officers charged Mackalo with one misdemeanor for marijuana possession, according to reports. He is expected to appear in court April 7 in Chapel Hill, reports state.
  • Someone attempted to break into a multifamily residence at 429 Hillsborough St. on Monday afternoon, according to Chapel Hill police reports. The suspect used a kind of pry tool and caused $195 in damage to three window screens and the window framing, reports state.
  • To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide