Wednesday February 8th

Playmakers' new season

PlayMakers Repertory Company announced last week that it will showcase both modern and classical works in its 2008-09 season. "We'll present nine shows, six on our main stage and three in PRC2, our enormously popular second stage series," said Joseph Haj, PlayMakers' producing artistic director. Before it debuted PRC2 in 2007, PlayMakers performed about five shows per season.

• "In The Continuum," Sept. 10 to Sept. 14 The first offering in PRC2 attempts to humanize the HIV/AIDS epidemic through two women from different parts of the world who are diagnosed with the disease.
  • "Pericles," Sept. 24 to Oct. 12 "I love this play," said Haj, who will direct this production of Shakespeare's epic play. Jack Herrick, of Chapel Hill's Red Clay Ramblers, will provide a musical score.
  • "Blue Door," Oct. 22 to Nov. 9 Making its regional premiere, "Blue Door" uses one man's struggle to visit themes of personal identity and cultural heritage.
  • "The Little Prince," Nov. 26 to Dec. 14 PlayMakers will reprise its 2007 production of Antoine de St. Exupéry's children's book because of popular demand.
  • "The Young Ladies Of . ," Jan. 7 to Jan. 11, 2009 A part of UNC's campuswide exploration of gender, this one-man show in PRC2 features the actor and playwright's autobiographical story.
  • "Well," Jan. 24 to March 1, 2009, and "The Glass Menagerie," Jan. 25 to Feb. 28, 2009 These memory plays exploring relationships between mothers and daughters will be performed in rotating repertory.
  • "Pride and Prejudice," April 1 to April 19, 2009 PlayMakers' main stage finale is an adaptation of Jane Austen's most recognized story of romance and social class.
  • "9 Parts of Desire," April 22 to April 26, 2009 PRC2 closes with a play based on a decade's worth of interviews with nine Iraqi women. Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.

• Comments

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition