Monday February 6th

Soulchild tickets go on sale

Multi-platinum R&B artist Musiq Soulchild will round out the Carolina Union Activities Board's musical offerings for the 2007-08 season. Tickets go on sale today for the concert, to be held at 8 p.m. April 11 in Memorial Hall. Musiq Soulchild is the second musical artist brought this year by CUAB's performing arts committee to headline Memorial Hall. Committee members said the trend of bringing musical acts has been a focus throughout the school year. "We knew from the start we'd have a lot of concerts," said Jaron Wilson, a member of the committee. "I would say Performing Arts has always had a history of bringing in big music artists, and we wanted to keep our reputation up this year." Marie Monroe, chairwoman of the committee, said she began negotiating with Musiq Soulchild to come to UNC when she was elected chairwoman in spring 2007. Monroe secured the artist for about $30,000, a price Monroe said has increased since Musiq Soulchild was nominated for three 2007 Grammy awards. Musiq Soulchild's album Luvanmusiq grabbed the No. 1 spot on the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop chart in 2007, and the performer has had multiple hit singles since his debut in 2000. "We feel like Musiq Soulchild is a great artist who appeals to a lot of people," Wilson said. "He's been around for a while. Once we found out his (performance) date worked with us, we were really excited because we know he'll draw a big crowd and sell out Memorial." In an effort to show off the artistic talent of UNC students, Monroe said CUAB will hold auditions for those interested in being the opening act for the performance. The auditions are open to any UNC student or group and will be held at 8 p.m. Tuesday in the CUAB office in the Student Union. "I know UNC has a lot of talent, and I want to give them a chance to show it off," Monroe said. "We're looking for people that have a kind of neo-soul, R&B kind of feel, everyone from singers to spoken word artists." Musiq Soulchild specializes in a neo-soul sound, which fuses traditional soul from the 1970s with modern jazz and hip hop. That sound is what Robert Gurdian, Carolina Union president, said is a significant part of his attraction to Musiq Soulchild's music. "We've kind of forgotten what soul music is in the contemporary sense, and he brings that idea back in a way people can really relate to," Gurdian said. Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition