Arts and Sciences dean to be next chancellor

BOG unanimously approves choice

Holden Thorp, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, was selected unanimously by the UNC-system Board of Governors to serve as UNC’s next Chancellor.

“This is an incredible day,” Thorp said. “I’m so grateful to lead the University of North Carolina.

UNC system President Erskine Bowles said he was enthusiastic about the choice and that Thorp fit the position description.

“He’s the right man at the right time to lead Chapel Hill today and UNC tomorrow,” Bowles said.

Thorp’s selection marks the end of a 9-month national search process that solicited 104 applicants.

Bowles cited Thorp’s passion and enthusiasm for the job as one of his biggest strengths.

“He has a passion you can feel,” Bowles said. “It’s absolutely contagious, and I have caught the disease.”

Thorp, who graduated from UNC in 1986, returned in 1993 as a chemistry professor, doing research in the electromagnetic properties of DNA and RNA.

Prior to being named dean of the college, Thorp served as chairman of the department of chemistry and director of the Morehead Planetarium and Science Center.

Last year, Thorp was selected to replace Provost Bernadette Gray-Little as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences after another national search.

“He’s risen so quickly in such a short time,” Moeser said, “and the only way to accurately describe that is to say that he’s a supernova.”

The search for Moeser’s replacement began in October when Moeser announced that he would be stepping down June 30.

The Board of Trustees convened a 21-member committee composed of trustees, alumni, students and staff.

The search committee hired William R. Funk and Associates, a consulting firm, to help solicit applicants, which the committee did during November and December. The firm was paid about $100,000.

When it convened in January, the committee met to discuss potential candidates.

Schwab said the search committee pared down the applicants to six finalists, including two African-American males and two white females.

They proposed four names to the Board of Trustees on March 26, which approved them the following day. Bowles said he interviewed with all four.

Thorp said Bowles offered him the position at a gas station in Greensboro. The two were on their way back to Chapel Hill after meeting in Greensboro to discuss the job.

“I will never for get the Exxon on Wendover Avenue,” Thorp said. “I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t run it to get Nabs.”

The search was conducted almost entirely behind closed doors, with search committee members required to sign confidentiality agreements and meetings being held in closed session.

But UNC President Emeritus Bill Friday wasn’t surprised at the committee’s ultimate choice, calling Thorp an obvious candidate.

“He’s the type of talent people look for all over the United States,” Friday said.