Monday January 30th

Second Carson concert tonight

Bene?t event is at Cat's Cradle

Organizers of benefit concert "An EVE the Carolina Way" said it was impossible to consider another cause to be the focus of their annual concert after the death of former Student Body President Eve Carson. And today, Heels4Hire, a Triangle-based service company, and Kappa Sigma fraternity will team up to provide music and entertainment to promote the spirit Carson embodied and to benefit the Eve Carson Memorial Fund. The concert will begin at 9 p.m. today at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro. This is the second year in a row Heels4Hire and Kappa Sigma have presented a benefit concert at the venue. Last year, the groups raised more than $1,600 for the Amani Children's Foundation. "We had a date set in the fall (for the concert) and as the events sort of unfolded, we couldn't think of a more pertinent and deserving cause," said Daniel McNatt, co-founder of Heels4Hire. "I hadn't made up my mind until I went to the memorial service on campus. I was so moved and inspired and just very touched by that ceremony and saw how it brought everybody together." Heels4Hire is led by McNatt and Ed Gronet, both UNC alumni and Kappa Sigma brothers. The group links current students with community members who need services such as yard work and baby-sitting. "An EVE the Carolina Way" is the second concert this month area organizations have held to benefit Carson's fund. The first was held by student government and Tau Kappa Epsilon on April 13. Performers said the concert will have a celebratory tone as the bands are intending to remember Carson's positive lifestyle. "I think (at this concert) little things won't matter as much. It's about why everyone is there as opposed to music," said Campbell Davis, lead guitarist for AlphaMusic and member of Kappa Sigma. "While there's a little bit less pressure, there's also more pressure at the same time because it's such an important cause, so we've put a lot of work into it." AlphaMusic will perform along with Tobacco Road and Franklin and the Doo Rags. Tickets for the concert will be sold today in the Pit for $10 each and for $12 at the door. "Every person I've told about it has already known about it," said Kappa Sigma President Mike Cowherd about the concert. "It self-perpetuated itself. It really says something about the student body. Thankfully we have a community like that." ATTEND THE BENEFIT CONCERT Time: 9 p.m. today Location: Cat's Cradle in Carrboro Info: www.heels4hire.net Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Housing Edition