Ackland fabulous at 50

Kenneth Noland
Anna Wu of Durham views the Kenneth Noland piece, "That," at the opening of the Circa 1958 exhibition at the Ackland.

Kevin Bacon, Ellen DeGeneres, Ice-T, Michael Jackson and the Ackland Art Museum have at least one thing in common: They all turn 50 in 2008.

Not to snub any of the celebrities, but Student Friends of the Ackland will celebrate only the museum's 50th year at a party today with a student viewing of the anniversary exhibition, Circa 1958: Breaking Ground in American Art"" which opened Sunday.

With food from Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery, music from hip-hop, indie and a cappella groups and a 1950s-inspired costume contest, Student Friends of the Ackland aims for the free party to be a way for students to make a connection with the museum.

This is monumentally exciting"" said Kyle Fitch, Student Friends of the Ackland's advisor and the museum's director of annual giving. We may never compare to football"" but we want them to realize that art is fun.""

The exhibition includes works from ground-breaking artists like Andy Warhol and Kenneth Noland. Fitch said the exhibition has an expressive quality that appeals to a younger generation.

Ackland Director Emily Kass said the museum worked to make the exhibition accessible"" but the museum's nonacademic student connection could be stronger.

""We weren't doing enough to make students feel welcome"" Kass said. We want you to have some ownership and know that this is your place. So we needed to extend that invitation.""

While the museum and public programs are always free"" membership to the Student Friends of the Ackland gives students access to programs like special lunches and ""Yoga in the Galleries"" in addition to events specifically for group members.

Fitch said membership increased from 80 active students last year to more than 500 students expressing interest this year.

Elsa Hasenzahl, a senior journalism major and Student Friends of the Ackland president, said the majority of students at the group's interest meeting were majoring outside of a visual arts discipline.

I think everyone misses taking art classes" and the opportunities to interact with art are less and less she said. People lose art along the way" so they are excited for these kinds of opportunities.""

The combination of free membership and a provocative exhibition is enticing for students wanting to experience the local arts community.

""This kind of art looks at the canvas as something completely different" and it prompts discussion Hasenzahl said. If you hear about this exhibit and don't go" you'll kick yourself later.""

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.