A UNC School of Education program that promotes greater literacy is one of many AmeriCorps partner organizations receiving state funding this year.

The Student Coalition for Action in Literacy Education will get a portion of the $4124795 in federal funds given this year to the N.C. Commission on Volunteerism and Community Service which distributes the money to N.C. programs partnered with AmeriCorps.

Donna Rasmussen coalition program director" said as a former AmeriCorps volunteer she has seen what the funding has accomplished in the past.

""I'd be watching the changes and the progress students made"" she said. I was seeing people pass their GEDs and getting things they never got before.""

The coalition" which already exists in 16 places in the state is receiving more than $280000 to expand tutoring and literacy efforts for at-risk students.

Alicia Hartsfield senior AmeriCorps program officer said North Carolina usually receives between $2.4 million and $2.6 million each year. The state can apply for additional federal funding to fulfill any unmet needs of those programs.

In the past North Carolina has funded up to 16 AmeriCorps programs Hartsfield said. Although this year fewer programs are being allotted money" proposals for two new programs were accepted.

Hartsfield said AmeriCorps partner organizations can address community's overlooked needs in North Carolina.

""The communities are being intentionally provided with the ground work and foundation so they can continue their services" she said. We want these programs sustained by the community. When the members are gone" the needs will continue to be met.""

To ensure that AmeriCorps funding is being used for its intended purpose" grant applicants must submit quarterly reports and participate in field reviews.

Hartsfield said one of North Carolina's top priorities is to expand outreach to people with disabilities. Many programs are trying to increase the number of volunteers who have disabilities themselves.

Some of the programs that receive AmeriCorps funding are receiving that money on top of funding from other avenues such as the Stokes Partnership for Children- AmeriCorps and Children Together" which also receive funds from the N.C. General Assembly.

The program trains volunteers to serve as substitute teachers so that early child care instructors can attend workshops and pursue distance education.

""It benefits the entire state by providing relief time so they become better teachers"" said Katie Snow, the program's coordinator. Children that they are serving have the benefit of better teachers.""

Hartsfield said that AmeriCorps programs provide a wide variety of opportunities.

""These programs are for anyone interested in changing local areas and encourages national service and reaching out to the community.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.