The third gubernatorial debate of the general election became a confrontational back-and-forth between the two candidates especially during discussion of school vouchers.

Democratic candidate  Lt. Gov. Bev Perdue and Republican candidate Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory were noticeably more aggressive than in past debates.

Perdue said school vouchers which help parents pay private school tuition are unjustifiably expensive.

Her campaign recently released an ad highlighting McCrory's support for vouchers and saying they could cost the state $900 million.

McCrory disputed that price tag" saying that he doesn't propose that vouchers be given to all students.

""I am for the concept of vouchers"" he said. I have never said I will offer a voucher for every student.""

He also turned Perdue's ad on her"" citing its accusation that  he is a ""real danger"" to North Carolina's middle class as a prime example of the kind of negative campaigning Perdue pledged to abandon during the primary season.

He also said that her past actions imply her support of the program.

""She supported vouchers in every budget she ever voted on"" McCrory said.

Perdue contradicted that claim, saying that she has supported college scholarships, not K-12 vouchers.

The voucher that the mayor is talking about isn't a voucher"" she said, explaining that scholarships are part of the state's mandate to provide free and public education to all N.C. residents.

The contentious issue of drilling for oil off the N.C. coast, hashed out at the last debate, came up almost immediately.

McCrory tried again to paint Perdue as a flip-flopper, expressing confusion about her position. She repeatedly dodged responding directly to the accusation.

During their concluding statements, each candidate returned to the points they've been stressing for the duration of an increasingly tense campaign.

Perdue is running on a platform of experience addressing the state's needs.

I believe that I've got the experience and capacity to be the governor that can move North Carolina forward" she said.

McCrory used Perdue's touting of experience to lump her with a government that he called corrupt and ineffective.

I'm running for governor because  I want to change the culture of state government" he said. A culture in which you can't trust state government.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.