RALEIGH — Candidates for state and national office met with constituents of a different demographic on Saturday.

Gubernatorial senatorial congressional and state legislative hopefuls spoke at a candidates' forum at the N.C. Museum of History fielding questions from an audience of local elementary middle and high school students.

The forum was sponsored by Kids Voting USA a nonprofit group devoted to informing children about elections and voting.

Before taking questions from the audience" candidates zeroed in on the issue most relevant to the young audience — education. Most of them criticized current educational policy in the state and nationwide.

""You kids have been robbed"" said Hugh Webster, Republican candidate for the 13th Congressional District. Robbed of a good education by the condition of our public schools.""

Some of the criticism included discussion of educational reform" especially for No Child Left Behind a federal education reform act that emphasizes accountability for schools and school districts through standardized testing.

However questions from the audience touched on other topics mostly skirting educational issues.

Middle and elementary school students focused predominantly on issues such as the war in Iraq and the environment while high school students seated in the front asked more targeted questions on topics ranging from the subprime mortgage crisis to rising fuel costs.

After the forum the participants took part in election-themed activities" making political buttons and filling out mock ballots.

""It's nice that candidates would take time out of their campaigns to spend time with the people who would be affected by their actions"" said Julie Daw, an Apex parent.

My children want to be informed when they go to the polls for the first time"" she said.

Her son Charles, 9, echoed his mother's concerns.

I don't want to vote for the wrong guy"" he said.

Thirteen-year-old Graham Lynn, who came with a church group from Erwin, said he thinks the candidates benefited from learning what matters to kids.

I think the candidates came to know how we feel. They want kids' opinions of who'd be the best"" he said.

His sister Catherine, 9, said that the candidates' presence at the event showed the importance of youth participation.

We came to express that we're part of America" she said. Candidates want to know who kids would vote for" and they care about voter participation.""

Rick Armstrong of Knightdale said that attending the event could foster good political discussion within his family of six.

""Many families don't talk politics"" he said. An event like this encourages kids to talk to their parents and get a family discussion going. It provokes thought.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.