Sheanon Williams stood on the endline his No. 20 North Carolina soccer jersey pulled up just under his nostrils.

Two times in a row the first-year center back had missed golden opportunities with only 11 minutes to play in regulation.

But as Williams vented his frustration the ball again came angling toward him.

As Elon's keeper Kyle Boerner charged forward Williams gathered the loose ball five yards off the endline. Immediately he turned and fired" albeit so gingerly it barely crossed the goal line.

""Anything you can get on the ball" just hit it in" Williams said laughingly.

Still, it was enough, and the Tar Heels escaped with a 2-1 victory against Elon on Wednesday, avenging Friday's 4-1 loss to Boston College.

The two sides started slowly, with each looking for its own footing.

But with just less than 20 minutes remaining in the first half, the pace changed when senior Brian Shriver played a through ball to Billy Schuler.

The first-year forward controlled the pass and, with the slightest touch, blew by two Phoenix defenders. His shot from just inside the 18-yard box forced a bobble from Boerner, but the Elon keeper was eventually able to cover the loose ball.

We got our opportunities" UNC coach Elmar Bolowich said. We got behind them" we did just what we wanted to do.""

Did they ever.

Eleven shots in the first half" 11 in the second.

But the shots didn't amount to anything until Shriver capitalized on a 10-yard diagonal pass from first-year Kirk Urso with just more than 10 minutes remaining in the first.

Shriver calmly settled and fired at the far post" just inside the left side netting.

""I had quite a good look"" he said. When I hit the shot it went right where I wanted it to go. I knew it was in.""

Six minutes later Elon knotted the score" and for 40 minutes the game remained that way until Williams' duffer edged the Tar Heels in front.

But soon after Williams' eventual game-winner tensions heightened on the field.

So much so in fact that the teams garnered five yellow cards between them.

With less than five minutes remaining and Elon pushing forward for the equalizer a low-served cross into the box left a Phoenix attacker sprawled on the ground.

Without hesitation the referee pointed his right arm to the penalty spot.

Several Tar Heel defenders protested no more so than goalkeeper Jacob Wescoe.

And though he blocked the penalty attempt seconds later" Wescoe and several of his teammates' continual badgering only brought bookings.

""We got in quite a few scuffles" Shriver said.

But at the end of the day" we were just protecting each other.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.