Student Congress' decision to fund a $5000 Carolina Students for Life event was not an unusual one representatives said Thursday.

But the decision to give such a large amount has drawn criticism from student group leaders and from the general student body.

The event - a large display including pictures of aborted fetuses" scheduled to be shown in Polk Place on Oct. 22 and 23 - received 10 percent of the legislative branch's fall semester budget.

The allocation puts the event in the same league with large concerts and speakers of national profile.

Those familiar with Congress said they consider it reasonable.

""I mean" it's probably on the higher end but it's not uncommon former Speaker of Congress Tyler Younts said.

Last year I think we spent $20000 on Boyz II Men" which hadn't had a hit since before I hit puberty.""

Other large events representatives mentioned included last year's Homecoming concert featuring Augustana (to which Congress contributed $10"000) and John Ashcroft's 2006 speech ($10"000).

""It's big" but at the same time we've had plenty of other groups ask for the same amount" Congress Speaker Tim Nichols said of the Carolina Students for Life request.

Nichols said that because Congress has six more meetings and a public forum this semester, the amount (along with $750 given to another organization) was reasonable for one evening.

I always do think first come" first served Nichols said. At the same time we are looking at saying you know where will this place us in the budget? As it stands right now" we're still in a great position.""

Representatives also said Congress was more inclined to fund the proposal because they thought it was reasonable.

Ethics committee chairwoman Charissa Lloyd said in an e-mail that Congress members thought the event merited that level of funding because it will span two days and be seen by thousands of students.

Lloyd is a member of Carolina Students for Life. District 10 representative Ashley Tyndall is the organization's president and also presented the funding request to Congress.

Nichols said Lloyd and Tyndall abstained from voting on the bill although no official tally was kept as is customary.

But not everyone is happy with the decision. David Murray" press contact for Young Democrats" said members of his organization think the event's focus is too specific to merit the funds it received.

""If you're going to use so much money" it shouldn't be so concentrated in just this one political value" Murray said. I think it's definitely a misuse of funds.""

Some students said they wished the money could have gone to benefit a wider range of people.

""I don't think that's a good use of student fees because I don't think all students paying fees would agree with that. It's a little controversial"" senior Erica Hiller said.

She added that she thinks an event like Carolina Students for Life's should not be compared to concerts or lectures that Congress funds, because its audience is much narrower.

First-year Ranjan Banerjee said Carolina Students for Life should be allowed to hold the event but should use its own money.

I don't think it's appropriate to use student fees because everyone's opinion is not the same" Banerjee said. Then he reconsidered.

I might not be comfortable" he said. But it's OK if you can bring in a speaker to say the same thing.""