CHARLOTTE — Approximately 20000 anxious yet optimistic people crowded the streets of downtown Charlotte to hear reassurances Sunday from Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

With the future of a struggling economy at stake Obama promised voters that he would win a race that has been narrowing in the polls and if elected" fix the financial downturn.

""I won't pretend that change will come easy — that we'll get out of this hole they dug for us overnight"" Obama said to the somber but energized crowd.

Obama reiterated his economic plan and took the defensive, attempting to correct what he called false television advertisements from Republican presidential candidate John McCain.

Don't be fooled by these ads now. They're trying to run the old okeydoke on ya"" he said, referencing Republican ads saying Obama will raise taxes for working families.

You are more likely to get a tax cut under the Obama administration than under the McCain administration"" he said.

After weathering the post-Republican National Convention slump, Obama leads 48 percent to 43 percent, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll from Sept. 17.

L. Boykin of Camden, S.C., said that she doesn't take the polls to heart, positive or negative.

Polls can present whatever picture they want to present. What's the point of getting nervous? I'm gonna go and vote and get that vote counted"" Boykin said.

Still, others in the crowd used the words tense"" and ""anxious"" to describe how they felt in the last few weeks leading up to Nov. 4.

""I'm excited about today — I'm apprehensive and concerned about the future. I just hope the momentum will continue"" said Star Bowens of Charlotte.

Bowens referenced the economy, Obama's chief talking point Sunday, as her main concern.

Every time I go to the gas pump" why wouldn't I support Barack Obama? Every time I go to the grocery store" why wouldn't I support Barack Obama?"" she said.

In between his economic reassurances"" Obama drove home his key campaign message.

""We need change that actually makes a difference in people's lives" he said.

It's amazing to me that the folks who are running the show for the last eight years can with a straight face argue that they are agents of change" he said, referencing McCain's recent adoption of the term.

Sylvia Russell, who canvasses for Obama, said she has encountered numerous unregistered and undecided voters.

People are still stuck on this experience thing; they're not quite sure what to think of him. But they're also willing to give him a chance" she said.

She added that she thinks people's ultimate choice will come down to the debates.

Obama is on the defensive for the first time since he took the lead from former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. Supporters are only becoming more determined to see Obama to the White House.

We have to create as much positive energy as we can" said Dan Vermeer of Chapel Hill.

It's not the moment to back away. We've come this far. We have to bring it home.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.