Even in an election year professors can state their political views in the classroom but they generally agree that doing so should advance not stifle" open debate.

UNC political science department Chairwoman Evelyne Huber said there is no official policy on incorporating professors' political views into the classroom.

""I'm pretty sure most do"" Huber said. So long as the students are able to assume that doing so has no impact on grading.""

Huber said that when professors disclose their personal politics"" it promotes intellectual inquiry and presents an opportunity for active debate with their students.

UNC political science professor Thad Beyle said he makes his views clear at the start of every semester because honesty facilitates more open discussion.

""The ratio of Democrats to Republicans to Independents is always comparable enough that there is never one prevailing mindset"" Beyle said, explaining that the mix promotes balanced dialogue.

Still, some professors choose to leave their partisan leanings at the door.

UNC journalism professor Leroy Towns said he doesn't disclose his opinions in class, but assumes most students can deduce his views.

I think the students are pretty sharp as it is"" he said. They can determine for themselves where their professor leans.""

Towns" a former Republican campaigns manager" said that he's still undecided in this presidential election and that his primary objective is to encourage active political participation.

""Students are paying more attention to the political world now because of the election"" Towns said. I make a point that all political philosophies are welcome in my room.""

The American Association of University Professors says it's alright for professors to state their views in class" said Nicole Byrd" government relations associate for the organization.

""We have never advocated that professors pretend to take the position of neutrality in politics"" she said, adding that professors should create a zone of comfort before advertising their own views.

(We) stress that professors teach how to think" not what to think Byrd said. Truthfully if you don't bring it into the real world you are doing students a disservice" she said.

No matter how intense it gets, class discussion should only be censored when personal attacks on the students emerge, Huber said.

It becomes a personal question rather than an academic one. Very often students want to know their professors are human beings and have opinions"" too.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.