Say no to Styrofoam: Reusable boxes bags help reduce dining waste

Campus services are now offering students yet another opportunity to go green.

If students jump on board Styrofoam might just be on its way out. Reusable to-go boxes from campus dining this month became the newest offering in a trend toward more sustainable options.

The new dining services initiative offers students the opportunity to purchase a green reusable plastic to-go container for $3.50.

The container may be returned after each use and exchanged for one that has already been washed for recirculation.

This initiative marks a simple shift that allows students to ease the burden of waste and individual impact on the environment.

Logistical chemical and financial constraints prevent widespread recycling of Styrofoam. To account for this communities as distinct as Suffolk County N.Y. and Portland Ore. and 12 California cities have already enacted bans against use of Styrofoam containers.

And now Carolina Dining Services is extending the options for students to do their part.

And it's not just to-go boxes that are featured to make student consumption more sustainable.

Reusable shopping bags are also available for purchase at $1.50 each starting this month in Rams Head Market and Carolina House of Dogs.

While it might seem that such small measures don't have much of an impact the sheer numbers of students using campus dining services adds up.

An investment of $5.00 — for one container and one bag — can contribute to the mass elimination of thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of Styrofoam containers and plastic grocery bags.

Carolina Dining Services has provided students with an easy option to make a substantial environmental impact. The UNC community must now make the choice to take advantage of these initiatives.

So go green with your lunch container — literally.