BOONE — Student leaders from across the state took a formal stance on tuition increases at each of the system's constituent universities at its meeting this weekend.

The UNC-system Association of Student Governments an organization intended to represent the voices of students within the university system met at Appalachian State University in Boone with a record attendance of almost 70 students.

The UNC Board of Governors the body that sets tuition for each of the system universities informally raised at its October meeting the possibility of a tuition freeze.

The board asked the ASG — comprising student body presidents and their delegations — to submit a recommendation on tuition.

The last time ASG was consulted on an issue of such importance was four years ago said ASG President Greg Doucette.

Most delegations requested increases considerably smaller than the caps set by their schools aside from the UNC-Charlotte delegation which requested the same amount. Six universities including UNC-Chapel Hill requested to have no increase for the next year.

The resolution itself which outlined the official cap and the student-requested cap for each university passed unanimously.

However with three constituent universities missing from the meeting because of homecoming activities there was concern about how to represent the opinions of Winston Salem State University N.C. Central University" and Elizabeth City State University students.

Some members were reluctant to allow student body presidents from those schools to weigh in by phone because it could set a precedent for future meetings.

""Isn't the point of our meetings to get things done here rather than over the phone and by e-mail?"" ASU delegate Phil Schneider asked of the ASG General Assembly.

Others argued that the resolution would be weakened by the absence and that by striking them from the list"" they would be excluded from dialogue on an important issue.

""We are all affected by tuition — all 17 institutions"" said N.C. Agricultural and Technical University Student Body President Marcus Bass.

We don't want to negatively impact the voices of the institutions who want their voices heard.""

Ultimately they took input from presidents of the three universities by phone or e-mail and included them in the resolution.

Doucette said he was concerned with the last-minute nature of the requests from WSSU and NCCU.

""It exposed some continuing structural weakness that we need to continue to work on"" he said.

The association also passed a resolution supporting the creation of a football team at UNC-Charlotte and confirmed two committee vice presidents, including UNC student Chazz Clevinger as the vice president of legislative and public affairs. By default four UNC-CH students were confirmed as his assistants.

Doucette said that while he isn't sure what the BOG will decide about tuition, he will present the resolution to the individual members in hopes of persuading them.

It basically comes down to trying to talk to folks one-on-one prior to the November meeting to try to convince them to go along.""

He said many BOG members are against freezing tuition because of the potential it has for eroding the quality of the education.

But Doucette said that" especially with the economic slowdown" the greater problem would be losing students who will eventually need to find a job.

""I think it runs a great risk of pushing people out of the university when an education is what they need.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.