Bus hits woman on South Columbia

bus
Chapel Hill firefighters use bleach to clean off the road after a female pedestrian was struck by a Chapel Hill Transit bus Monday afternoon.

UPDATE: Valerie Hughes the woman who a Chapel Hill Transit bus struck as she crossed South Columbia Street" has died from her injuries. Read more.

Authorities did not name Monday evening a pedestrian who a town bus struck as she crossed South Columbia Street earlier that day.

The injuries appeared to be serious and the woman was taken to N.C. Memorial Hospital" Chapel Hill police Sgt. Donnie Rhoads said.

The Chapel Hill Transit bus was going southbound when it hit the woman just after 4 p.m. at the intersection with Mason Farm Road.

Chapel Hill police at the scene said they did not know anything else about the extent of the victim's injuries. But police said they would release further information on the incident early today.

By about 5 p.m. the bus had driven away and police were cleaning up a pool of blood at the point of impact.

Chapel Hill has a history of serious injuries involving collisions between vehicles and pedestrians.

In January 2006 three people were killed while biking or walking.

And in May a transit bus hit Scottish exchange student Lisa Moran as she jogged at the intersection of Manning Drive and South Columbia Street just a few hundred yards north of the collision Monday.