Fairest of them all

Faire
The Chapel Hill Public Library is scheduled to expand in 2010, due to over crowding. The expansion will provide the library with much needed additional space and also over 9,300 new items for the library's collection.

The N.C. State Fair isn't all about the craziest rides and the deepest-fried foods. Look a little closer and the fair can become a real N.C. experience. Here is a top-10 list of things to do:

1. Fireworks go off at 9:45 every night. Get in line early to watch them from one of the three Ferris wheels. You'll even be able to see the skyline of downtown Raleigh.

2. Head down to the Pitzer Heritage Circle and enjoy one of the more relaxed parts of the fair: snacking on an apple dumpling and a cup of steaming cinnamon apple cider while listening to a genuine bluegrass band. Check the daily schedule for bands and show times.

3. Make a stop at the Jim Graham Building to say ""hello"" to a representative display of the state's livestock. Pigs" cows and goats are awaiting your inevitable fawning.

4. Visit the Village of Yesteryear to watch craftsmen dressed in colonial garb demonstrate their traditional southern crafts-making and give you a good talking-to about the benefits of hard work. From pottery to banjo carving to weaving all the crafts are on sale.

5. While the 100-foot drop and the new Vortex might look like great ways to send your stomach full of fried food straight into your throat the softer rides that have always been a part of the fair like Alpine Bobs and the bumper cars make for a less nerve-wracking ride.

6. There is a pig race at least once a day near gate 9. … What more is there to say?

7. The demolition derby and tractor pull shows. It's impossible to mistake that revving of engines heard as far away as the roasted corn trailer. Check the schedule for times.

8. Try to win a bear dressed in a Carolina hoodie by throwing bouncy balls into a bucket. Just be careful — you might end up spending more on this rigged game than the bear is really worth.

9. Be sure to pick up a McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden sticker at the Commercial Building. Everyone you sit next to on the Ferris wheel will proudly be sporting one or the other.

10. Take a load off your feet at the Folk Festival in the Folk Festival tent and watch clogging groups dance to live music.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.