At a forum to solicit input on forming guidelines for student protests members of the Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor heard two divergent viewpoints.

One group of students spoke out against any policy while others chimed in with ideas of how to eliminate the gray areas surrounding protesting.

There are no official guidelines regulating protests and demonstrations. Last semester" five members of Student Action with Workers were arrested for protesting in former Chancellor James Moeser's office.

The advisory committee held Thursday's forum to gather opinions about the need for guidelines and recommendations about what those guidelines would be. They hope to compile a report to present to Chancellor Holden Thorp on Wednesday.

""We're hosting the forum as another outlet for students and community members to come out and express their ideas and opinions about the project"" said Matt Garza, who led the discussion along with fellow advisory committee member Corey Cusimano.

Those present at the meeting included Jeff McCracken, director of the UNC Department of Public Safety, and Winston Crisp, assistant vice chancellor for student affairs.

Crisp and McCracken assured the group that they understood the importance of freedom of expression on a college campus and said they encourage students to express opinions.

But they said they must take action if the protest affects the University's ability to operate or its safety.

Crisp said the guidelines could provide clarity and help students understand how far they can go before they will be arrested.

If they know the possible consequences" they can know whether they want to go that far or not and can make an intelligent decision" Crisp said.

Three members of Student Action with Workers attended the meeting and said they don't like the idea of guidelines.

How would such guidelines represent ‘a way forward' for anyone on campus other than administrators interested in making students' demands easier to ignore?"" wrote in a handout they passed out to forum attendees.

In the meeting" the three also expressed concerns about Thorp not listening to their issues. They said having the guidelines would focus protests less on the issues in question and more on the act of protesting.

After the members of Student Action with Workers left early the rest of the attendees discussed ways to help protestors and Thorp connect and how to avoid any gray areas in protesting regulations.

Blane Clark a junior communication studies and philosophy double major" suggested creating a policy where protestors can speak to Thorp when they garner a certain number of signatures.

He also said protest policies should be mentioned at orientation.

Another idea included making the guidelines into a handout that could be readily available to students.

""A lot of important points were touched on"" Cusimano said. A lot of important points we will talk about will come from this meeting.""