The Employee Forum will consider whether to take legal action against UNC administrators for their refusal to run an article on collective bargaining in a 2007 edition of the University Gazette.

The issue was one of several discussed at Wednesday's meeting that centered on what staff members feel is a lack of respect.

""There are faculty" administrators on this campus who don't respect the staff employees" said delegate Mary Campbell.

The forum has been in a dispute with University Relations since the summer of 2007, when delegates say their staff newsletter, InTouch, was unfairly censored because it contained an article on collective bargaining.

At Wednesday's meeting, forum Vice Chairwoman and newsletter editor Brenda Denzler called for a special meeting to be held next week to allow delegates to discuss the issue with a representative from the American Civil Liberties Union.

The forum then might decide to file a lawsuit against the University for what delegates call a violation of their First Amendment rights.

Now is the time. Don't be afraid. Speak up"" Denzler said.

She said the ACLU takes on 15 to 20 of the thousands of requests for assistance it receives annually.

Employees also planned to make their voices heard on another issue, voting to send a letter to Chancellor Holden Thorp in support of UNC's housekeepers.

Until Wednesday morning, housekeepers were embroiled in a dispute with administrators about whether they would be required to work during weekends.

Unbeknownst to forum members, housekeepers had reached a compromise with the University earlier that morning.

However, the discussions on controversial issues only constituted a small part of the meeting, which focused largely on formulating constructive suggestions for improving the University.

Student Body President J.J. Raynor and Trustee John Ellison attended the meeting to solicit ideas for improving UNC, particularly in light of the 4,000 to 5,000 additional students expected to enroll in coming years.

The staff at this University is really important to the success of this University"" Ellison told the delegates and guests, asking them how to combat high staff turnover rates and improve staff benefits without breaking the bank.

Among their suggestions were providing free tuition for the children of faculty and staff members, making it easier for employees to get technical school degrees and better supporting those who take classes at UNC.

You are a taxpayer and a voter" forum Secretary Mike Hawkins told the group in the wake of members' suggestions.

This is your University" too.""