Although train tracks run through Hillsborough no train stops" and citizens are looking to change that.

A group of Hillsborough citizens are pushing for an Amtrak train station that will be discussed at today's Orange County Board of Commissioners meeting.

Commissioners will vote on whether to approve a community task force to determine future steps for the installation of the station.

""There's been a huge amount of local interest"" Hillsborough Mayor Tom Stevens said. It is very positive. It's really accelerated the official efforts to help go forward with the station in Hillsborough.""

Hillsborough already has Amtrak lines running through the town" Stevens said.

But the closest train stations are located on either side of town in Durham and Burlington.

Stevens said Amtrak and the N.C. Department of Transportation recently did a feasibility survey and found a station in Hillsborough could be put to good use while being economically efficient.

Hillsborough Commissioner Eric Hallman said projected net profits from the train station are about $56"000 from ridership alone.

""I think if you look at the ridership on any of the mass transit options we have" there is a huge demand" he said.

The Chapel Hill Town Council passed in 2007 a resolution supporting construction of a new station by September 2009, but the town of Hillsborough will need to provide funds and land for the station.

A new station would allow citizens like Art Mines, who commutes to work in Greensboro, to better utilize these rails.

I love taking the train to work" but I have to drive halfway to get it Mines said. He drives to Burlington to catch the train two to three times a week and said he would ride every day if there were a station closer to home.

Mines said there is high community support for the project.

Mines and other supporters informally conducted a survey that found 400 people who would take the train.

Many residents cited a reduced carbon footprint as a major reason for a train station.

Commuting is costly" said Elizabeth Woodman, a member of Hillsborough's planning board. I see that most of the cars getting on interstates in the mornings are occupied by one person. I think that this would really help alleviate a lot of pollution.""

Mines said the train station would not only benefit Hillsborough but also surrounding communities.

""Just think about what an impact it could have on UNC"" he said, explaining that students could travel on weekends easier.

The train station could be completed in a minimum of nine months, Hallman said. Until then, citizens will have to wait.

I assume we'll get a train station"" Mines said. The question is when.""