Rockers are notorious for among other things partying late into the night making the prospect of waking up early quite a hassle.

But a group of local musicians and one international artist are setting their alarms early for a 9 a.m. concert Saturday on the terrace of Graham Memorial.

A group of musicians including England's Billy Bragg" Chapel Hill pop-punk legends Superchunk and indie-rock forebears the dB's and folk acts Megafaun and the Bowerbirds and the pop-rocking I will play acoustics sets until 1 p.m. to attract voters to the last day of early voting at Morehead Planetarium.

Free coffee and doughnuts will also be provided.

""I think it's great for the rest of the country to see a typically red state like N.C. producing so many great artists and that those artists can get together to try and make something happen that's positive for the state and the whole country"" Mac McCaughan, co-founder of Merge Records and member of concert participants Superchunk and Portastatic, said in an e-mail.

Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama's N.C. campaign is sponsoring the show and another in Asheville, both dubbed N.C. Rocks for Change" with organizational help from McCaughan and others in the Merge camp.

We reached out to Mac and Mac was enthusiastic about putting something together" said Paul Cox, communications director for Obama's N.C. campaign.

But even the popular line-up might not entice fans out to rock and vote the morning after Halloween.

When I first heard about the show that's what I thought" that's kind of a sketchy thing to do" said John Booker, singer/guitarist from participating group I Was Totally Destroying It.

I have a feeling with the names that are attached to it"" people are going to get up and check it out.""

Cox was also hopeful that students will still be motivated to come out"" enjoy the music and vote.

""I wouldn't underestimate students"" he said. I think UNC-CH students are very excited about this election.""

This isn't the first concert in support of a candidate or early voting. Superchunk performed in support of Obama with Arcade Fire at May shows in Carrboro and Greensboro"" and Durham's Hammer No More The Fingers headlined a benefit for Obama in September at Cat's Cradle. James Taylor performed on campus last week.

""I think young people and voters in general have gotten energized by this election" and musicians have a way to publicly express themselves McCaughan said.

Booker said that his band has been highly motivated by the heated presidential campaign and is worried about the outcome.

The economy and the (Iraq) War just create a lot of weight and it makes people want to contribute in any way we can" he said. This is the one thing we can contribute.""

Contact the Diversions Editor at dive@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide