This co-column was tough to write for two reasons. First because we have such different writing styles and personalities.

Yet we overcame this because we share a common vision for where the page needs to go and are excited about the changes we have in store.

Secondly it was difficult in light of all the controversy surrounding the opinion page in recent weeks; part of this turmoil led us to step up as editors.

As we transition into our new roles we hope we can overcome the difficulties this page has faced.

In order to do this it's important to address some issues at the heart of the controversy and also lay out our mission.

We believe the opinion page is separate from the newsroom. Individual reporters' opinions on any given event should not influence a particular editorial and opinion writers should not be influencing how a reporter writes a specific story.

But we also need to represent The Daily Tar Heel in a broad philosophical sense. If the editorials in the opinion section undermine reporters' ability to do their job we would not be doing ours.

More than any other organization on campus the newsroom has a pulse on the community. That's why we're going to increase communication between the two bodies.

That said it's important to understand that we are an autonomous body and we ultimately make decisions independently of the newsroom.

One of the editorial board's most important roles is to hold people accountable.

Doing this job well means being accurate. No fact errors ambiguities or misstatements.

We want our editorials to be well-researched insightful and fully informed. This is a major responsibility that comes with publishing under the banner of The Daily Tar Heel.

While the facts should never be in dispute the opinions certainly should be. And that's where you come in.

Don't agree with our opinion on the ticket policy for campus concerts? Write a letter to the editor.

Have a unique perspective of campus life? Write a guest column.

This is your page if you want it — you have a soapbox that can reach 40000 people. Use it!

We take our responsibility very seriously to be a forum for debate on campus and we hope that you as the reader do as well.

Your letters don't even have to be 500 words. Just take a few minutes and participate in the discussion. At the very least you can see your name in print!

Over the next few months we're going to try some new things on the opinion page and give it more variety while still keeping in mind our mission of autonomy accountability and accuracy.

We're going to include more graphic elements. These will help present opinions in a creative and expressive way — something that can't necessarily be done in writing.

And we know that when you pick up the paper before your 8 a.m. class you don't always want to read 300-word editorials.

While there has been a change on the masthead you should continue to expect the same high-quality content on the editorial page.

We look forward to serving you and embracing the important role that the editorial board plays in our community.